Blake W. Buchan, PhD
Assistant Professor of Pathology
Associate Director, Clinical Microbiology
IntroductionAs Assistant Professor of Pathology, I am involved in the education of residents in the Pathology residency program at MCW. I serve as Co-course Director for the CP portion of the Molecular Pathology rotation and participate in didactic and discussion sessions related to education in clinical microbiology and molecular diagnostics. I also share in the daily responsibilities of direction of the clinical microbiology laboratory including test interpretation, review of daily results, and council of technologists. In addition, I serve as Principal Investigator for numerous clinical trials involving new diagnostic assays for the identification of bacterial, viral and fungal pathogens.
- Molecular Diagnostics
- Instructor of Pathology, Medical College of Wisconsin, 2011 – 2012
- Assistant Professor of Pathology, Medical College of Wisconsin, 2013-Present
- Associate Director of Clinical Microbiology, Dynacare Laboratory, 2001 – Present
- Postdoctoral Training – Medical College of Wisconsin, 2009-2011
- PhD, Microbiology – University of Iowa, 2009
- American Board of Medical Microbiology (ABMM)
1. Buchan, B.W., Ginocchio, C.C., Manii, R., Cavagnolo, R., Pancholi, P., Swyers, L., Thomson, R.B, Anderson, C., Kaul, K., and Ledeboer, N.A. (2013) Multiplex identification of Gram-positive bacteria and resistance determinants directly from positive blood culture broths using the Verigene Gram-Positive Blood Culture Test. Plos Med. July 2013
2. Buchan, B.W. and Ledeboer, N.A. (2013) Advances in the Identification of Clinical Yeast Isolates Using Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization-Time of Flight Mass Spectrometry. Review. J. Clin. Micro. (51)5:
3. Buchan, B.W., Riebe, K.M., and Ledeboer, N.A. (2012) Comparison of matrix assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight (MALDI-TOF) mass spectrometry to routine biochemical methods for the identification of bacteria from positive blood cultures. J. Clin. Microbiol. 50(2): 346-352
4. Buchan, B.W., Peterson, J.F., Cogbill, C.H., Jannetto, P.J., and Ledeboer, N.A. (2011) Evaluation of a microarray-based genotyping assay for the rapid detection of cytochrome P450 2C19 *2 and *3 polymorphisms from whole blood. Amer. J. Clin. Path. 136(4): 604-608.
5. Buchan, B.W., McCaffrey, R.L., Lindemann, S.R., Allen, LA, and B. D. Jones. (2009) Identification of migR, a regulatory element of the Francisella tularensis Live Vaccine Strain iglABCD virulence operon required for normal replication and trafficking in macrophages. Infect immune. 77(6): 2517-2529